Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 1996 01:01:35 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "Error: C:1024>1023 (BIOS limit)"

I just repartitioned my drive on my machine at home, so decided the easiest
way to deal was to install from my 2.1 CD and then sup the CVS tree and
check out stable and build a new kernel and then start life over from scratch.

I built my new kernel, did a "make install", and then rebooted.  However,
while trying to the symbols, the loader said: "Error: C:1024>1023 (BIOS limit)".

This is kind of an unexpected message, since not only does "fdisk" say only
1023 cylinders, "disklabel" says that the a partition is cylinders 0-34.

Do I need a new loader to be able to load -stable kernels, or something?

Thanks,
  Bill