Date:      Tue, 12 Jul 2005 13:19:34 -0700
From:      Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com>
To:        freebsd@celestial.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cant setup up comcast cable modem

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005, Manfred Riem wrote:
>Hi Bill,
>
>That's exactly the procedure I had to follow to get my router working,
>so I assume it is not going to be any different with the FreeBSD box.
>You'll have to install / dual boot into Windows, use the install disc,
>note the data and then you'll be off.

I've done it entirely from Linux systems as I don't have anything that runs
Windows.  Basically the cable modem assigns an IP address to something on
its LAN side with DHCP.  It doesn't make any difference whether it's a
Windows box, FreeBSD, Linux, or a commodity router/firewall.

It's been over a year since I last did this so the details are a bit fuzzy
(to say the least).  As I remember, there was a simple web interface, and
all it required was some information from the customer's account contract
to get the modem authorized.  Once that was done, the Comcast routers Just
Worked.  The only thing we do that's a bit out of the oridinary is to set
up uucp over TCP for the cable customer's incoming and outgoing e-mail so
they don't have to use Comcast's ``service'' or deal with port 25 blocking
issues.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``I have learned what some people are like.  And if some people are like
that, other people must have the means to shoot them.''
	Donald Hamilton -- The Vanishers