Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:14:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Building world on another drive

	I have two hard drives, each of which has a bootable
installation of FreeBSD.

	I have sources on the second hard drive in /usr0/src,
and would like to do a "make buildworld" in that directory and
have the obj directory be /usr0/obj.

	If I edit Makefile.inc0 in /usr0/src and change the line

MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX?=/usr/obj

MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr0/obj

or

MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX?=/usr0/obj

the buildworld writes to /usr/obj/usr0, in fact to /usr/obj/usr0/src.

So obviously there's something here I don't understand; what should I
be doing?  and once built in /usr0/obj, how would I do in /usr0/src
a "make installworld" so the installation gets done on this second
drive rather than on the first drive?

I am aware that I can reboot to the second drive and do it that way,
but I want to do it while FreeBSD is running from the first drive.

Thanks very much.

	Annelise