Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:30:02 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        mi@aldan.algebra.com, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, ports@FreeBSD.org, will@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: requesting enhancements to addport :)

--b/1LfoxmgmdMg2Yp

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 07:52:28PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Well, gziped CVSROOT/modules currently is 55KB long (transfer size is 110=
KB,
> because file have to be transferred to and then from client), so dialup
> committers would kill you.... In addition, it would greatly increase
> possibility of stale lock on CVSROOT/modules (Bad Thing, BTW) due to dual=
up
> going down in the middle of transfer.

Multiplied by however many times someone wants to commit new ports.
When I wrote addport, I was still behind a dialup link, and I greatly
understood how much it would impede new ports.  It's simply not feasible
to do this sort of thing without enough bandwidth.

There is an option to not commit CVSROOT/modules delta; people can write
a quick script that adds it for themselves.  I chose to take this route
once -- January 4, 2001, where I committed 79 perl5 module ports in the
space of 90 minutes.  This sort of thing would not be possible for
dialup users because of the load of CVSROOT/modules.

In addition, I have tried really hard to make addport scalable to
multiple new ports.  I still haven't rewritten /usr/local/bin/modulesupdate
to accomodate multiple new modules at once, so that's really the first
place to start.

> I'm objecting to this. In addition to a valid arguments supplied by the W=
ill
> and my arguments above in your scheme cvs history of CVSROOT/modules will=
 be
> bloated with unnecessary description of each port added.

Yup.

--=20
wca

--b/1LfoxmgmdMg2Yp