Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 1996 17:42:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Web server

Lo and behold, Anthony Hill once said:

> I have used apache, and NCSA 4.0/4.1, both were easy to install and
> setup, apache is in the ports collection, and NCSA installs with no

  The version of apache in the ports collection is 0.8.14.  The latest
version is 1.0 (with some patches), and it's much, much better.  If
you're going to install Apache, grab it from ftp.apache.org, it compiles
cleanly on FreeBSD.

> modifications. I used NCSA as a deamon and from inetd, but have only used
> apache as a deamon - the docs recommend against using apache from inetd.
> (Anyone know why ?)

  It has to read the configuration files, open any logfiles it has, then
grab the port, etc, each time it gets hit under inetd.  When running
standalone, it opens the logs, and memorizes the config files.  It's
amazingly more efficient.  Some people don't like the thought of letting
it run standalone for security reasons, but it's a much happier server if
you do.

    -Dave Andersen

--
angio@aros.net                Complete virtual hosting and business-oriented
system administration         Internet services.  (WWW, FTP, email)