Date:        Tue, 16 May 2000 21:03:51 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.csd.uu.se>
To:        Duke Normandin <dnormandin@freewwweb.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help! ppp/fetchmail/sendmail

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 09:15:45PM -0600, Duke Normandin wrote:
> help......! I've got one hell of a hair-ball mess!
>
> I'm running 3.3R on a standalone box - no X
>
> I want to do the following using user ppp:
> 1. Have ppp sit in the bg waiting for some process to wake it up
> 2. Retrieve my mail from 2 ISPs -- each POP3 accts
> 3. Send mail to my 2 ISPs
> 4. For the time being, have 2. & 3. happen ONLY when *I* decide
>
> Well I've gotten ppp to work -- as well as fetchmail. Couldn't find a
> single message on my bloody system after fetchmail finished. Turns
> out that sendmail sent the whole freaking mess *back* to my 2 ISPs.

I guess that one of two things happened:
1) sendmail wasn't configured to accept mail for your machine so it bounced
   it back to your ISP.
2) sendmail was configured to send all mail via your ISP so it did that.

> On top of that, I had run fetchmail -v --keep, so when I fetched my
> mail with Outlook Express, I had triplicates of everything.
>
> Well the upside is that ppp is working -- sort of. It tries to connect even
> before I've logged on (in?). Could this be due to the start_if.tun0 script
> that I'm using as per a suggestion in one of the ppp documents that
> I've recently read?

It is probably sendmail that is the cause of this. IIRC sendmail tries to
do DNS lookups at regular intervals (including when it is started) and
if the DNS server you use is at your ISP (which is often the case)
it will cause ppp to try to connect.

> How do I get fetchmail to drop the 2 POP3 accounts to user:dnormandin
Just run fetchmail as that user. It works for me at least.

> on my system? Anybody have ideas on how I hosed sendmail.cf - or
> what I didn't do. BTW, at the end of the sendmail manpages, they
> suggest reading, "SENDMAIL Configuration and Settup" or something
> like that. No joy -- can't find the bloody thing. Any ideas where it is?
> As well, my `hostname` is odie.rockingd.calgary.ab.ca. Is this screwing
> things up with regards to fetchmail/sendmail?
If that hostname is correct (meaning the domain actually exists etc) there
shouldn't be any problems.

I know what I did to get a very similar setup to work.
I looked at the sendmail configuration stuff, said "Uh?", realised I didn't
really want to learn all the details of sendmail, so I ignored sendmail
and installed qmail instead. It is a bit easier to configure.

I am fairly certain that most (all?) of your problems are connected with
sendmail, or rather your configuration of it.
Not knowing much about sendmail I am afraid I can't help you to get it
working but my advice would be to look at using some other MTA instead of
sendmail since they are probably easier to configure. (Eg. qmail or postfix)

I think that sendmail is primarily meant to be used on machines that are
connected all the time and with a working DNS setup.
It can probably be made to work in your case too, but don't ask *me* how :-)