Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:08:22 +0200
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Michael Grant <mg-fbsd3@grant.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: keeping all things up to date

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 10:12:31AM +0200, Michael Grant wrote:
> Is there some sort of automated way to keep freebsd and all the
> installed ports/packages up to date automatically?
>=20
> I don't mean just the source, that part is easy.  I mean something
> that actually reinstalls the things ad needed, sort of like windows
> update or the updater on ubuntu.

Well, almost.

For ports I'd advise portmaster. All in all it works well, but you have
to keep reading /usr/ports/UPDATING. And since some ports configuration val=
ues
can't be handled by the options framework, you've got to put them in
/etc/make.conf if you want to automate things.

Rebuilding the kernel + world is relatively easy and well documented in
the handbook, but the mergemaster(8) step requires a human looking at
which config files to update or to leave alone.

Roland
--=20

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE--