Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 09:00:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Overnight lobotomy?

Hi all,

Got a strange one here. I have a machine that's been happily running
3.1R ever since that was the current Release, close to a year now.

Last night it was running just fine, but this morning I can't log in
from the console or from anywhere else. The keyboard responds to
alt-Fn, but to no other keys. Moused doesn't seem to be running,
either. From other hosts on the LAN, I can ping it but cannot telnet
or ftp. Its POP server does not respond, nor does its netatalk server.

I'd try the usual diagnostic tools, but that's not easy when you can't
get a prompt!

FWIW, this machine is on an RFC1918 net behind a NATting firewall
(ipfw under 3.3R), and the firewall machine is running fine.

Any ideas? Am I going to have to press the Big Red Button?

Thanks in advance.

--
Chris Hill                     chris@monochrome.org
[1]    Bus error                     netscape