Date:      Sun, 4 Oct 1998 12:51:05 -0500
From:      Stormy Henderson <stormy@futuresouth.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Parallel port scanners (Plustek OpticPro 9636T)?

A happy camper (Greg Lehey, grog@lemis.com) once wrote...
> 3.  This scanner claims 1200dpi × 600dpi × 36 bits, which makes a
>     total of 3.2 MB/sq in.  On a full sheet of paper, that's about 300
>     MB.  What kind of compression do they use?

If you scan a full page at full resolution, you'll end up with a 300MB
image.  But most folks have no need for that kind of resolution.  Typical
usage is 100dpi for web page images, and 200-400dpi for photo editing
before printing on the average color inkjet.  As well, most folks (unless
doing OCR) don't scan a full page, instead scanning a 3x5 photo, for
example.

I don't know if PP scanners are supported; I'm trying to find support for
my Artec AT3 w/SCSI scanner.  (c:

Be happy...
--
                      http://www.futuresouth.com/~stormy/signature.html