Date:      Sun, 06 Apr 1997 20:59:15 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unofficial secondary nameserver?

> On Fri, 4 Apr 1997 dkelly@HiWAAY.net wrote:
> > Reading the DNS & Bind nutshell book failed to provide an example of what
> > I'm wanting to do. Their examples presumed one had permission to establish
> > a secondary server. And hints updates may flow both directions. If my DNS
> > database got sucked back into the primary there would be a lot of
> > screaming. I don't know enough about it (yet) to know if my concerns are
> > valid or not. Don't particularly care for the company DNS to log errors of
> > any attempts either.
>
> You never really say what you have in mind but here's something
> to think on.

I used too many words. Its a pain for me (and everyone else) to either type
IP numbers or beg a sysop (I'm not root on *everything* I use) to manually
insert special cases in /etc/hosts (or similar) on each and every machine
that needs to talk to me or vice versa. This is exactly what a nameserver
is all about. But the geniuses who run our network think its too much of
their trouble.

> The only diference between a primary and secondary name server
> is where they get their data.  Primaries read it from files they
> trust, secondaries read it from primaries.

And I'm happy to get data from a primary but I'd like to insert additional
data. This is where I differ from anything I've seen in the book. Don't
think the book's authors could imagine anyone so shortsighted as not to
list every system they know of under their domain in their nameserver.

> If you set up your own rouge name server within the company it
> will not "leak" cause no one will ever look at it.

What's /etc/resolv.conf for? The ideal solution I'm looking for would be
the ability for my rouge nameserver's IP to be listed once in
/etc/resolv.conf (or similar places on Macintosh and Microsoft platforms)
rather than multiple edits of everyone's /etc/hosts. Once its functional I
have ways other than word of mouth to advertise its existence.

> This is all in the book, I don't think you read it very well.

I've read it cover to cover. Its put me to sleep many nights. I admit to
not completely understanding what I read. Thats why I asked. Sorry to have
bothered you.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net