Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 00:24:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Dan Seafeldt, AZ.COM System Administrator" <yankee@az.com>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   attack arbitration server

Another idea... An option to send a special message upon attack to a
central server at CDROM or other appropriate third party. Networks could
'elect' to be a part of an automatic notification service whereby a
special block and note was made in the OS to alert of contacts from
semi-blacklisted addresses. Other nearby intranet based machines could be
quickly notified as well. In addition, the FreeBSD Host or firewall being
notified could, upon sysadmin election, determine a level of 'throttle
back' or complete filtration from this IP block should contact be made.
This would be an automatic protection network for participating members. A
central web site would catalog and history nasties and all sorts of good
and valuable consideration. Of course a PGP communication would have to be
made to prevent message forgery and other things but this task could be
done, and hey - if FreeBSD was the first to have this system, it would
definately be a brag.

In addition sysadmins could elect to have system patches automatically
delivered and installed using a secure delivery mechanism straight from
the FreeBSD team - again more work, but an idea worth considering.

I think the FreeBSD is as deserving as trust as the designers who work on
the code. I can tell you that I have talked to more than one Former Softie
who admitted there is ... well I won't say it aloud, but I'm sure you can
figure out what I was about to say...

If we put our faith and trust in the people who code FreeBSD and not our
faith in people who code a commericial OS and own part of a commerical OS
and sell us a Commercial OS and expect as to leave our trade secrets on
their Commericial OS based internet connections - If we choose to steer
clear of the Back Orifices and put our BUSINESS ON THE LINE using FreeBSD
- we have to have that trust - who has time to slave over every line of
code looking for an inside security job - impossible!... We're really
talking about FREEdom here with FREEbsd The ability to be in business and
not constantly have your VALUABLE COMPANY SECRETS STOLEN BY YOUR WORST
NIGHTMARE OF COMPANIES IN THE BUSINESS JUNGLE - Information isn't power -
its more than that - its EVERYTHING! It is the key to survival and why the
internet is full of new business that is flourishing because this new
option for an OS emerged thanks to Bill Joy and that followed.

We might as well put our faith in letting The FreeBSD team give us the
option to automatically deliver updates to us and send notifications to an
arbiter. Imagine the value of an arbiter option that can be enabled if the
sysadmin choses that would allow a central security officer to see the
scope and nature of attacks Internet wide. This would be of great value
I'm sure.

Keep up the great work FreeBSD team and may the force be with you. You
are Small Business in America's hope among many more.