Date:      Thu, 09 Dec 2004 17:16:35 -0600
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        ports@freebsd.org, maho@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   distfile for lang/ifc

I would like to use the Intel Fortran Compiler that is installed by the
lang/ifc port.  I followed the downloading instructions that come as a
result of "make fetch" but Intel sent me l_fc_p_8.1.018.tar.gz, but the
port requires l_fc_pc_8.0.046.tar.gz and l_fc_pc_8.0.046_pe050.1.tar.gz.

So here are my questions:

1.  Is it likely that lang/ifc will be updated soon?
2.  Or is it possible to get hold of l_fc_pc_8.0.046.tar.gz and
l_fc_pc_8.0.046_pe050.1.tar.gz from somewhere, and if so, will the
non-commercial license that Intel sent me still work on this older version?
3.  Or if I were to try to update the port myself, would a simple
substitution of distfiles and a few other things in the Makefile do the job?

I did a search on the mailing list of ports, and I saw some kind of
discussion - maybe lseek doesn't work quite right or something.  But my
applications will be doing numerical calculations, and so if an lseek
here or there doesn't work quite right, I can live with this.  Anyway,
all this discussion seemed to take place in April or May, and I wonder
if people are still thinking about it?

Thanks, Stephen

P.S. The lang/icc port seems to work great, and for computationally
intensive calculations seems to be faster than the gcc that comes with
FreeBSD 5.3.