Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 96 11:27:38 WET
From:      <E00114@vnet.atea.be> (Rob Schofield)
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   EISA kernel configs.

Hi there. I seem to making use of rather of a lot of your time these days, so
I'll try and keep it brief.

I have an EISA box, and have built a custom kernel to suit my kit. The bus
controller is configured as an isa0, with the various system devices hung of
it. I am aware of the inherent limitations of the ISA setup (the 16M DMA
address space limit, 16 bit transfers, interrupt management etc.), and was
curious originally to see if there was explicit EISA bus controller support in
FreeBSD the way there is for PCI. From the bridge chip sets being used on
modern high-end server machines which give combined EISA/PCI bus capability,
it would seem to me to mean that explicit EISA bus controller support would be
an interesting way for FBSD to go. However, on reading the READMEs and docs,
it appears as if there's not so much available.

FINALLY, I get to the point ;)  - I was scanning the hackers list a while back
and came across a thread relating to WIP on a driver for the 3COM 3C579 EISA
ethernet card. There was a reference to a kernel configuration line using a
bus controller keyword eisa0. Excitement! Does this mean that there is WIP on
EISA bus controller support and support devices?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

--
Happiness is a smoking processor.......
Rob Schofield M.Sc. AMIEE