Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 14:35:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        "T. Norman" <dnorm@thegrid.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd

CC'ed back to questions; please CC all recipients when replying to this
message.

T. Norman wrote to Ryan Thompson:

> well, basically i am familiar with linux and windows and would like to be
> able to exchange files between my server and my home PC (a windows 95
> system) without spending hours with emulators.

Check out Samba (available in the ports).

> i also want it to have many of the remote tools for when i set up my
> network.

Most of the tools you will need come with the base system.  For just about
everything else, /usr/ports/net is the place to look.

> I would go with linux or nt but im hate microsoft, and linux is to
> picky about its hardware. I'll be running it off of a system that is
> about 5 hard drives, with about 2 gigs on each.

So this is SCSI, then?  Or did you buy another IDE controller?

> its always getting new hardware added, i just put a 486 motherboard
> into it and a zip drive, next month if i can get the money ill upgrade to a
> pentium 166 and ad a cdrw. will bsd have trouble with my hardware changes?

It shouldn't... Those devices are all supported in -STABLE and -CURRENT at
the basic level.. If you do have problems it will be due to specific
vendor support issues.  Look at HARDWARE.TXT in a FreeBSD release tree to
see if the specific hardware you want is supported.

> And how easy is it to tinker with the source code to add  my personal
> changes (thats my favorite thing in linux.)

I and many others do it all the time.  cc and gcc are included in
the base system.  Many more development tools are available in
/usr/ports/devel.  Editors in /usr/ports/editors.  If you get
tired of C, C++, Perl et. al, additional languages are available in
/usr/ports/lang. :-)

> And last but not least, can it handle intermediate graphics?

Sure.  3D stuff is lacking, but on a 386 or even a 486, running today's 3D
would be silicide.  For the desktop it's great.  Many graphics related
ports are also available if you're talking about graphic design.  Most are
scattered throughout the ports tree, but for a start, peek at
/usr/ports/graphics.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2