Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:25:13 -0700
From:      Lawrence Sica <lsica@interactivate.com>
To:        john_wilson100@excite.com
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, drais@wow.atlasta.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.4-STABLE machine unusable (was Re: Openssh)

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:21:43 -0700 (PDT)
john_wilson100@excite.com wrote:

> Thanks guys, that certainly clears things up for me!
>
> I just have two questions:
>
> 1) if my Solaris box is similarly firewalled, why doesn't it exhibit
> the
> same behaviour?   I realise that their MTU discovery algorithm is
> probably
> very different, but perhaps worth exploring or even adopting (now that
> Solaris source is freely available)?

Solaris MTU is not RFC compliant depending on the version of Solaris you
are using.  Waht version of Solaris is it?  Anything 2.5.1 and below is
definitiely NOT RFC compliant.  It wasnt until 8 that they got more in
line.  Soalris has a debug switch for MTU discovery don;t know if
freebsd does...

> 2) I want to have some proof and find out exactly which router or
> firewall
> is causing this before I go medieval on them.   Will I see MTU
> discovery in
> a tcp dump?

Good question.  man 1 tcpdump.  Tcpdump will show mtu inforation as
well:

From man 1 tcpdump

       If  the  -v flag is given twice, additional information is
       printed, such as the the RX call ID,  serial  number,  and
       the  RX  packet flags.  The MTU negotiation information is
       also printed from RX ack packets.

Lawrence Sica
lsica@interactivate.com
Systems Administrator