Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 00:06:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>, Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>, "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>, Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>, Evan Dower <evantd@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cyrus vs. UW IMAP (was: Re: I Volunteer)

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Chris Dillon wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > It has functionality that can not be implemented without adding to
> > > how UNIX does things.  Basically, it needs to be able to hook the
> > > account constructor/destructor.
> >
> > It's quite simple to integrate Cyrus IMAP with the local system.
> > Cyrus will by default use the system password database for its
> > authentication,
>
> While I appreciate the positive support of Cyrus, I guess I need to
> point out that this approach only works if you are willing to send
> passwords over the wire in plaintext.

Yes, but this is the case with any IMAP server and doesn't really have
anything to do with Cyrus in particular.  Unlike other IMAP servers,
however, Cyrus supports SASL which offers plenty of non-plain-text
authentication options, unfortunately none of which work with a local
FreeBSD password database that I know of.  There is always the option
to use SSL, which is my preference, but unfortunately neither SSL nor
SASL have widespread IMAP client support yet.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon(at)inter-linc.net
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet

No trees were harmed in the composition of this message, although some
electrons were mildly inconvenienced.