Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:16:18 +1100
From:      "Chris Knight" <chris@e-easy.com.au>
To:        "'Guy Middleton'" <guy-dated-1072797483.e6bf5f@obstruction.com>, <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: g++33 creates large binaries on 5.1-RELEASE

Howdy,

5.1-RELEASE comes with gcc 3.2 (from memory).
g++33 will have been installed from the ports tree, which by default =
only
creates static libraries of libstdc++, etc. It's this static linking =
that is
generating the large binaries.
One way around this is to rebuild gcc33 with shared library support, =
then
add the directory containing the shared libraries to ldconfig_paths in
/etc/rc.conf.
The ideal way would be for the gccXX ports to grow a gccXX-shlib slave =
port
which would be added to the RUN_DEPENDS list of a port when that port =
asks
for a gcc that isn't part of the base install. The gccXX-shlib slave =
port
would only build/install the shared libraries for that version of gcc as
well as adding an rc.d script to add the directory to ldconfig. No, I'm =
not
volunteering.

Regards,
Chris Knight
Systems Administrator
E-Easy
Tel: +61 3 6334 9995  Fax: +61 3 6331 7032  Mob: +61 419 528 795
Web: http://www.e-easy.com.au