Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 11:57:39 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Michael Haro <mharo@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc rc

On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 01:48:21AM -0700, Michael Haro wrote:
> On Thu, May 10, 2001 at 09:43:00AM +0300, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> > >
> > >     Yes.  /var/run should be wiped completely.  Programs needing
> > >     persistent /var storage should use /var/db.  That's why we have
> > >     a /var/db separate from a /var/run.
> >
> > Just as an aside, irrelevant to the whole /etc/rc discussion: does
> > this mean that the security/sudo port should keep its tty tickets
> > in /var/db/sudo, not /var/run/sudo as it currently does?  Or are those
> > also meant to expire at shutdown?
>
> Since this directory is used for timestamps that expire in a short period
> of time, I see no problem with it being wiped by /etc/rc and thus it
> should be left in /var/run.  If you disagree, I could move the directory
> to /var/db.
>
> Opinions?

Well, call me stupid, but I have a timestamp_timeout=300 (5 hours)
set for user 'roam' :)  But well, since I don't reboot all that often
(except in cases like right now, when messing with the kernel ;),
I guess there's not all that much sense in "saving" a couple of keystrokes
every couple of days :)

Guess I needed to think it through when I asked the original question..

G'luck,
Peter

--
No language can express every thought unambiguously, least of all this one.