Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 2015 01:15:16 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: port problems on FreeBSD 8.4

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 15:41:33 -0500 (CDT), Robert Bonomi wrote:
> I'm trying to build a bunch of ports on my FreeBSD 8.4 box, and getting
> errors I don't understand from the 'make' attempts on aboiut a dozen of them.
> e.g. why it is apparently looking for a .gz when the distfile is a .bz2

The ports collection has undergone some significant changes.
For example, the compression has been changed from bzip2 to xz.

> On the 'etoile-*' ports, I tried modifying Makefile to have "USES= tar:bzip2",
> whereupon it complains "can't open Makefile". I'm stumped on what to try next.

Probably update to a newer FreeBSD version. 8.4 isn't supported
anymore, and the ports infrastructure of that release cannot
handle current ports due to different mechanisms (package
archiver, pkg, staging, options framework and maybe others).
As a side effect, Makefiles also have changed a bit, and
probably other involved files, too.

> Can somebody see if they can, or more significantly, _cannot_ reproduce these
> issues on their system?  That way I'll know if it's just _my_ system, or a
> real problem in the port.

I have a 8.2 system at home (which works), but I cannot update
ports, or install software.

> Also, when building some ports, I get _scads_ of 'warnings' from compilers --
> the items seem to work ok, but some of the warnings are worrisome -- like when
> it claims an 'if' always evaluates true because an unsigned variable is used.

Is this a gcc vs. clang thing?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany