Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 97 17:03:37 +0100
From:      garyj@frt.dec.com
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Commerical applications (was: Development and validation  tools...)

maybe this should really be moved to chat ?

jkh@time.cdrom.com writes:
> > I really think what FreeBSD needs right now is a tremendous push in the PR
> > arena. For a lot of Sun-heads (a generic term I use for anyone who won't
>
> Absolutely!  Not enough FreeBSD users are willing to write about their
> experiences with the OS, and Unix Review, Unix World, Dr. Dobbs
> Journal and ;Login would *love* to have articles of that nature
> submitted.  In the last ;Login issue was, in fact, an editorial
> bemoaning the fact that the readership just didn't seem to be into
> providing good articles anymore, and maybe it was time for USENIX to
> stop publishing the newsletter if its readers weren't going to avail
> themselves of it.

I talked to a German journalist at a trade show last year (from iX,
one of the better UNIX rags here), and basically told him that they
had too much of a Linux bent. His reply was basically "we can't publish
articles we don't have."

But the few articles I've seen over here about FBSD were very short and
sort of disappeared without leaving a ring in the bathtub, to coin a
phrase.

The German magazines seem to think that there are only 4 OSes: DOS,
WINDOWS, NT and Linux. Whenever they talk about a non-M$ OS (although
one can argue that M$ doesn't have any real OS), then it's ALWAYS Linux.
Even the UNIX rags are like that.

I did manage to get one FBSD machine installed here at work when Linux
fell flat on its face. That was nice :-)

---
Gary Jennejohn				(work) gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
					(home) Gary.Jennejohn@munich.netsurf.de
					(play) gj@freebsd.org