Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 03:55:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>
To:        Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
Cc:        "John R. Makosky" <jrm@crackpot.org>, "" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: burncd problem with NEC NR-7500A CD burner in DAO mode

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Willie Viljoen wrote:

> The best thing to do would be to make sure you have a reasonably new
> 4-STABLE FreeBSD system (check the Handbook for upgrading instructions) and
> compile your kernel with atapicam support. This will cause FreeBSD to
> access your CD-ROM and CD-R/RW or DVD/DVD-RW drives as SCSI devices. Then
> you will be able to use your device with cdrecord.

Just to add my $0.02, I just upgraded to -STABLE tonight, built a
kernel with "atapicam", and built cdparanoia and cdrtools.

I did a few quick tests; just ripping audio tracks and then burning them
onto a very cheap "staples" brand CD.  The results were excellent; I did
not specify speeds to either cdparanoia nor cdrecord and I ended up with
two perfect discs.  No pops, static, noise or other weirdness.  This is
with a Philips CDRW3210S.  My average read speed was around 12x and my
burn speed averaged 14.5x.

This is the first time I've played with a high speed IDE burner under
FreeBSD, and I am very impressed.

To whomever is responsible for atapicam, thank you very much.  Excellent
job!

Charles