Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 11:46:31 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports question

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Nate Williams wrote:

# > Installing a new loader would be a bad thing to do from the ports
# > tree.
#
# Agreed.
#
# > As for testing the date that is not a perfect solution either.
# > I'd like to see a quick-n-dirty test prgram written and add that
# > to the ELF distfiles.  Then you could do something like this:
# >
# > do-install:
# > 	@${WRKDIR}/dladdr-test || (${CAT} ${PKGDIR}/LOADER-UPGRADE \
# > 	    && exit 1)
# >
# > 'dladdr-test' is a simple little program like this.
# >
# > #include <dlfcn.h>
# > int
# > main()
# > {
# > 	Dl_info dlinfo;
# > 	if (dladdr((void *)&main, &dlinfo) == 0)
# > 		return 1;
# > 	return 0;
# > }
# >
# > This works since older versions of dladdr were guaranteed to return
# > a zero every time and the new version shouldn't fail in this simple
# > case.
#
# Since you seem qualified, do you want to do it or are you gonna make me?
# :) :)

Attached is a tarball of the test program w/Makefile and test
target.  I can update the port too, or is that what you meant? :)
Either way putting this on the Java page with some instructions
on how to use it along with the instructions you already have for
updating the loader would be a good idea.

-steve

PS: Would be nice for someone with a 2.2.8 machine handy to try
this little test program and see how it reacts.

begin 644 dladdr-test.tgz
M'XL(`&7'^S8``^W534O#,!@'\%Z;3_$P8;2BM>DK.#<4!$^^X,V3U"7=PK)$
MTG8JZG<W8TY[T`E#)^CSNR0-3Y.0]$^9+!@SNS6OZCWGAT`2YFD*#@#-TW#>
M6LOV]0&R+,_R)$X3:LMHED8.I#^UH;:FJ@L#X%0UG_$5=7=CSN4F-K19K'7_
MI\6$ET*N.H6UT##,DN3S^X_R^/W^X\B6Q7%.'0B_>R,?^>?W?W%Y?M)W6U\!
M.3L_/3KKNP^\(F0^L`^%E,0]#/9:50!/3^#QX5A#YTHWH#AG4&MH;D>F8!P>
M=&-`:MLU00>Z7>#WH@;JVWD6+YUHS=I5,"XJ*.!.FXE0(U@LY<5^T"$D$&HH
M&SOKP4W%@ENC1\%T,B"_?71_0CO_K7XP_,8UOLP_39;YIU%B_P4TB3#_F['U
MEBTFRZ$*Q@,B5$VFA5">3QZ):WC=&`6T1[9$"2%QC^6U4*6V$9TW/>+:8>\U
MK]Y,"P;;?G?^_@YT%S4^]/L0VNRW)EMV0SLO5TR4Y!D#C1!"""&$$$(((800