Date:      Thu, 22 May 2014 11:49:36 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-stable-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: strange svn problem on FreeBSD 10 STABLE

Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I ran svn and get this as a result:
>
> Updating the source tree.
> Updating '/usr/src':
> At revision 266536.
>
> So, it all should be fine.
>
> When I compile then the kernel, I will get this:

> ===> X220
> mkdir -p /usr/obj/usr/src/sys

> cd /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf;
> PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/usr/games:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/legacy/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/bin:/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/games:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
> config  -d /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/X220  /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/X220
> WARNING: duplicate option `NEW_PCIB' encountered. WARNING: duplicate
> option `GEOM_PART_BSD' encountered. WARNING: duplicate option
> `GEOM_PART_MBR' encountered. WARNING: duplicate option `GEOM_PART_EBR'
> encountered. WARNING: duplicate option `GEOM_PART_EBR_COMPAT'
> encountered. WARNING: duplicate option `DEV_ISA' encountered. WARNING:
> duplicate device `isa' encountered. WARNING: duplicate option `DEV_MEM'
> encountered. WARNING: duplicate device `mem' encountered.
> WARNING: duplicate option `DEV_IO' encountered.
> WARNING: duplicate device `io' encountered.
> config: Error: device "vt" is unknown
> config: Error: device "vt_vga" is unknown
> config: 2 errors
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make[1]: stopped in /usr/src
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/src
>
> There was a kernel with VT enabled installed on this machine. Ok, I
> could imagine where the warnings come from but why is VT not part of
> the latest revision?
>
> Is there a problem with my local copy? There have been some
> interruptions during the download.

Vaguely possible. However, my guess would be that you've changed the
branch you're pulling the sources from, or the kernel configuration, or
both. The vt driver is fairly new, so you need a reasonably recent 10.x
or higher source tree to have it available.

So: my advice.

 (1) check what you have for sources: "svn info" will tell you, and "svn
     status" will tell you if you have changed any files in the
     tree. Look at the output carefully for hints of problems. If svn
     reports problems with its database, try "svn cleanup".

 (2) If your svn tree isn't tracking the branch that you intend to, fix
     that.  It looks like stable/10 or mainline head are good targets
     for using the vt console device right now, although I may well be
     wrong on that.

 (3) Try building the GENERIC and VT kernels rather than your custom
     kernel. If they build, then your custom kernel configuration is the
     problem, and you can either reconfigure that or just use one of the
     standard ones you just built. If they don't build, you will at
     least get much clearer indications of the problem. [Don't use -j
     with the make command.]

 (4) Make sure you're following the recommended upgrade path.

I probably could have been a lot more help if you'd included the output
of "uname -a" and "svn info" in your message. And your kernel
configuration file, although even better than that would be trying the
GENERIC configuration and showing the results of that.

Good luck.