Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 20:05:42 +0000
From:      James Raynard <fhackers@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggested addition to /etc/security

On Thu, Oct 30, 1997 at 07:50:42PM -0600, Guy Helmer wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, James Raynard wrote:
>
> > How about adding a check for processes run by non-existent users as well,
> > while we're on the subject?  I've seen cases of people's login sessions
> > living on weeks or even months after they've left...
>
> That's odd -- the current rmuser should kill all of the user's processes
> (but that change didn't make it into 2.2 until 2.2.5).

Ah sorry, I didn't realise it did that now.  (The machines I was referring
to weren't FreeBSD ones, BTW).

If you're still in the mood for suggestions, how about an option to tar
and zip up the user's home directory and archive it somewhere before
deleting it?  Sometimes people leave useful things in there and no-one
realises until they're needed several weeks later - and restoring from
an off-site backup is slow and inconvenient (assuming the tape hasn't been
recycled by then).

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland.
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk