Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 01:46:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Keith A. Fredericks" <keith@kellysoftware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATI video problem?

On Thu, 27 Jun 1996, Keith A. Fredericks wrote:

> I have installed FreeBSD 2.1 from the CDROM on my Intel Atlantis
> motherboard-based Pentium 166 system.  I had to plug another video
> card into the board however to avoid the integral ATI mach 64
> video hardware throwing me into some bad video mode that I can't
> recover from.  I installed with the JAZZ Jakarta board which uses
> a Tseng labs chipset.  Now I would like to use the onboard video
> if I can.  How can I avoid the apparent problem with the ATI
> hardware?  Have I missed some hardware video configuration step?

There should be a disable jumper on the motherboard or in the BIOS to
turn off the onboard Mach64.  Check your motherboard's manual.

Note that you have to disable the serial ports in -c to install with a
Mach.  Once you get up you need to modify the kernel source and remove
the sio3 probe.  Instructions are in the FAQ.