Date:      Thu, 29 Feb 1996 12:43:34 -0800
From:      Ernest Hua <hua@chromatic.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        beta@XFree86.Org, hua@chromatic.com
Subject:   Large scale patching fails (most probably a FreeBSD bug)

In my many attempts to do this on a FreeBSD system (from days past),
I have never been able to run through a large set of patches without
some seemingly random failure.  The software base has always been
XFree86 (but then I do not recall ever patching anything else so
large).  The bug manifests itself in the form of patch stopping
because it cannot find a specific file to patch.  Unfortunately, I
have always taking the lazy route and just did it on the nearest Sun
or HP and did not bother to track it down.

In this last episode, I actually tried it twice and got two very
different instances of files not being found during the patch.  So
my question is this:

    1.  Is this clearly a FreeBSD file system bug?
    2.  If so, any ideas on how I can narrow this down enough so
        that someone more adequately informed can pursue it?

Thanks!

Ern