Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:35:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM
Cc:        kline@tera.com, Doug@gorean.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, bright@wintelcom.net, dutch@charm.net
Subject:   Re: Netscape hoggin' up all my colors

According to Will Andrews:
> [i am no longer on -questions, pls CC me if you want me to read your reply.]

	I'm just-typing-"g"; automatic cc, :-)

> On 31-Aug-99 Gary Kline wrote:
> >
> >    When I saw this thread a lightbulb went off.  In trying to set up
> >    a private color map, I found that I couldn't allocate more than
> >    a few--possibly 8 or 10 when I'd like 16 or 20 colors.
> >
> >    I've got a Matrox Millennium card with 8MB of ram and yet continually
> >    run out of colors by using just two netscapes.  My 17" tube is going
> >    at 1280x1024 and doing only 75x75 pix fonts.
>
> This sounds like a problem with DefaultColorDepth, really. I have a Diamond
> Viper V550 w/ 16MB SGRAM and a Mag Innovision MX21F 21" monitor. I can handle
> nearly anything loaded with 24 or 32bpp.

	Mmmm. Now that I could live with!  21" and 16M, hot-dog.  I've got
	to squint with 1280x1024...but it saves lots of paper.

> One combination: StarOffice 5.1, GIMP
> 1.1, 10 Netscape 4.61 windows, XFMail, 10 dockapps (don't ask.), superb
> background (OpenBSD *shrug*),

	OpenBSD is one of the family...

> Licq, gcombust, TkDesk, 10+ rxvt's, and so on.
> 24-32 bits can handle nearly all your needs. You just need a really good video
> card to handle that at a good resolution, which I think is at a minimum of
> 1024x768. I handle all the above at 1280x1024, 74Hz, normally.

	Do I need more than what I've got with my Matrox + 8MB or will
	(should) it serve?  I'm guessing that most users aren't the kind
	of xterm-freak that I am and that they are happy at 1024x768.

> >    This was auto-configured by the Xfree configuration program.  Before I
> >    try the change from 8 to 24 as the DefaultColorDepth, is this likely
> >    to improve my resolution?
>
> Not your resolution. Your depth is DEPENDENT on your resolution - the higher
> the resolution, the lower bpp you'll be able to support. Of course, if you have
> a kick-ass whiz-bang video card like mine, you can support 32 bpp at anything
> going straight up to 1600x1280. :-)
>
> But, it's normally best to go at 24 bpp, since that will use less physical RAM.

	My X-application will use up at most 16 different colors and I'd
	to be sure that it works either with the default cmap or my
	private one.

	I've just begun to get involved with the hardware-side details;
	you're notes have helped, so thanks much.  If you know on any
	online references or that would help me focus in on these details,
	I'd be much obliged.

> >    Should I change the first ``Depth 8'' default or will the driver accept
> >    the DefaultColorDepth...?
>
> It will accept.
>
> >    Driver          "Accel"
>
> I'm jealous. I haven't found an accel server for my card yet. :\
>
> >    BlankTime       0
> >    SuspendTime     0
> >    OffTime         0
>
> Thanks for these three lines! I got really sick of X turning the screen off
> when I have xlockmore taking care of screen glare. xlockmore rules. :-)

	Neat app, isn't it.  Too bad not all the screensavers are separate.

	Meanwhile, I'll shutdown xdm and reinit and see if things blow up
	or are better; or whatever.  All I want is 16colors @ 1280x1024!

	gary