Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 01:03:54 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Laurent de Segur <lds@apple.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie question.

> I believe that my main difficulty (beside the fact that I am new on
> FreeBSD ;-) come from the fact that I tried to install the hard way on a
> laptop: I took the base files from 4.0 cd (without XF86) and then installed
> manually XF86 4.0 from a ms_dos partition. I am missing a lot of files
> (all the things that get installed behind your back when you run a nifty
> installer.) I still don't want to give up, but it's just really hard that
> way. I just hope that an upcoming update would offer to install XF86 4.0
> with FreeBSD and that a kernel would be build for the most popular laptops
> (mine is a Thinkpad ;-) This would make this OS even more popular.

It's pretty easy to install XF86 4.0 from the ports, actually, except
for the large download size. If you have lots of "missing files" I'd
suggest uninstalling and reinstalling from the ports. But you should
probably stick with 3.3.6 for now.

> On the graphic side: I am at the point where I can start X by running
> startx, only when I log as root (or su). Then I get the desktop with a
> couple of term windows at 1024x768. That's good. But if I log as myself
> (non-wheel account), and startx, I get the message saying that I need to
> type XWrapper. I do just that and then xdm start with a huge login dialog
> (taking almost all the screen, it looks like I am in 640x480?)

Thats funny, xdm is normally not run from a normal user account. If
you create a file .xinitrc with commands to exec your favourite
window manager, startx should launch you into that window manager.

> console in the bottom right of the screen. Of course I can login but then
> nothing else seems to be possible (I click everywhere but no menus appear)
> The only way to exit is to go back to text mode by using cmd-F1, F2 (my
> graphic display is on vt3)

With xdm, your best bet is either to create a .xsession file in your
home area (as someone suggested) or suitably edit the system Xsession
file in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm. Or both. I'll send you my Xsession if you
like.

> On the network side: I get a message stating that edO is not installed.
> Gosh! I need to build a kernel already? I was hoping to skip the gory
> details, at least in the early phase. Maybe not...
> Thanks for any input you may think would be useful,

While booting, when it prompts you to press enter to boot or any other
key for commands, press another key and type boot -c; then
type visual and you should get a menu containing various hardware
options. See whether your card is listed, with the right settings, and
disable what you don't need. Then quit and the machine should continue
booting. But building a new kernel isn't so hard either.

Rahul.