Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 10:19:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, blkirk@float.eli.net, tom@sdf.com
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

On 25-Feb-98 Satoshi Asami wrote:

>  *   Someone the freebsd-scsi list is working on this.  Rather than a
> simple
>  * backup design, he is working on simultanous use of both host adapters
> at
>  * the same time, by two separate computers.  The two systems communicate
>  * make sure they don't step on each others toes when accessing the
> disks.
>  * The idea is to make a fully fault-tolerant cluster.

Yup.   There is more to it too.  Automatic hot standby, true, functional
hot pluggable everything, full redundancy, IP switchover, self monitoring
and error recovery, etc.  We support RAID-0, RAID-1, RAID 5.  Currently
only up to 45 drives per array, but that will change too.

While the system is NOT a classic Fault Tolerant, it allows you to build
various servers theat will provide uninterrupted service with single
component failure