Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:52:38 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: end of 3-stable support

Peter Pentchev wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 11:42:41AM +0200, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > Satoshi Asami wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > As you may all know, the 3-stable branch has slowly being phased out
> > > for a while now.  This is true for both the tree itself and the ports
> > > collection; fewer and fewer ports committers have 3-stable machines to
> > > test with, and the list of build errors kept growing little by little.
> > >
> > > Thus, I have decided to stop building 3-stable packages.  The next run
> > > which starts in a few hours will be the last one for 3-stable.  Of
> > > course, this last set of packages will be left on ftp.FreeBSD.org for
> > > a long time, just like the last set of 2.2.* packages.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help.  We can now concentrate all our resources on
> > > only two branches.  (For a while anyway. ;)
> >
> > Cool. Please indicate when you have last run completed, so we can start
> > removing 3-stable specific hacks from ports (FETCH_BEFORE_ARGS, USE_NEWGCC,
> > etc).
>
> Hmm.. I don't really think Satoshi meant we are completely stopping support
> for 3.x in the Ports collection; just packages for the present.

Please read the following PW's para several times ;):

> > The next run
> > which starts in a few hours will be the last one for 3-stable.  Of
> > course, this last set of packages will be left on ftp.FreeBSD.org for
> > a long time, just like the last set of 2.2.* packages.

(keywords are "last" and "will be left for a long time").

> Or am I wrong?

Well, considering that the most of the people from the porting team do not have a
3-stable box to test or debug ports on, and 3-stable package building on bento
will be terminated, I think it would be fair to officially declare end of
3-stable support and remove 3-stable belts and whistles from the bsd.port.mk and
ports' Makefiles.

-Maxim