Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 10:29:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@chris.netmonger.net>
To:        chris@absinthe.i3inc.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dialup hangs after Password: prompt, timeout after 300 seconds

In article <199704170445.AAA04097@absinthe.i3inc.com> you write:
>I searched the archives (questions, isp, hackers) and found a couple
>other folks who have had the same problem over the past two years or
>so.
>
>I dialup my box (2.2.1-RELEASE), it prompts for Login: and Password:
>but doesn't respond after I type my password -- I don't even know if
>it's listening to my password, since it doesn't echo it. After a
>while, my modem connection disconnects:
>
>    atdt [phone number]
>    CONNECT 115200
>
>    FreeBSD (Placebo.[domain]) (ttyd2)
>
>    login: cshenton
>    Password:Login timed out after 300 seconds
>
>    NO CARRIER

What are you using to dial?  Any chance it's tip on another unix box?
I have seen people try to use it and have exactly this problem.  I
think it is either a CR/LF issue, or something to do with turning off
the echo.  Anyway, I have gotten around it by using cu (cu -l
/dev/modem -s 115200).  User PPP's term mode seems to work also.

If you're not using tip, it might still be a similar problem.. try
another terminal program, or try fiddling with the CR/LF translation
settings.