Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 23:24:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        George Vagner <vagner@spdc.ti.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wierd modem problem

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, George Vagner wrote:

> I have a problem with my system at home, it is a pentium pro 200 dual
> processor motherboard ( Tyan 1662) with single cpu, Matrox Millenium 4MB
> WD 2.1 HDD PS/2 mouse and Sound blaster awe 32 pnp sound card, Intel
> ether express 16 network card.
>
> Here are my problems if someone can help..
>
> FreeBSD 2.2.2
>
> 1. There was no listing for my network card on the installation setup
>    so i chose intel ether express pro/100 and naturally it dont work.
>    IRQ 5 i/o 320. should this driver work or do i have to remove the
>    sound card since it tries to sit at irq5 initially.

Only the PCI Pro/100 is supported.  The ISA Pro/10+ is supported, though.

> 2. is there any support for the Sound blaster awe 32 PNP card.
>    I would like to use the sound capabilities from it.

Contact multimedia@freebsd.org.  You need a driver that can read the PnP
info off the board and stock FreeBSD doesn't know anything about PnP yet.

> 3. My modem is always flashing "fax" and when i tried to use the terminal to
>    dial out it tries to connect as a fax. I have to do a "ATZ" to bring it
>    back to normal only to have it go back into fax mode later on.
>    it may be initializing it somehow into fax in some config file somewhere.

If you installed hylafax it is trying to init your modem.

> I am completely new to unix and FreeBSD for that matter and am overwelmed
> by the amount of configuration files that have to be edited.

A lot of it is in /etc/rc.conf, but if you didn't hit all the areas in
sysconfig you have to pick stuff up here and there, and most packages have
their own config.

> 4. I dont know how to set up my system in order to do this: dial internet
>    provider , login ,get dynamic ip address and be able to use things like
>    Netscape, Mosaic, Mail etc.

Check out the Handbook's `Pedantic PPP Primer' for details on using the
ppp program to dial up your ISP.  Once you're dialed, then the network
applications just follow.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo