Date:      Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:01:20 -0700
From:      Steve Sizemore <steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New snapshot on ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/alpha/

On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 06:27:28PM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> We need more info than this. Clearly it's an ISP controller, but what did
> the system think the root device wuz?

I'm not sure how to find the answer to this question.

> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Steve Sizemore wrote:
>
> > On Sat, May 29, 1999 at 12:36:33AM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > > 4.0-19990527-CURRENT should contain all the latest support fixes
> > > for the Alpha - please let us know if anything serious was broken
> > > in trade :-)
> > >
> > > - Jordan
> > >

> > Just got around to trying this on my XP1000. Installation goes fine,
> > but the machine won't reboot...
> >
> >     Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
> >     isp0: driver initiated bus reset of bus 0
> >     error 6: panic cannot mount root (2)
> >

> > Sounds like a hardware problem, but it was running Digital Unix just
> > fine until this installation. Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Steve

It does find both disks - da0 and da1, at isp0 bus 0, but there's no
indication of where it expects to find root.  If you tell me how to
determine the root device, I'll be happy to experiment further.

Since the system won't boot, I can't run any commands, so all I have
to go on are the messages on the screen. It's possible that something
flashed across the screen early in the boot, but I don't think so -
everything looks normal until the bus reset.

One other thing (probably unrelated), that I just noticed - in the
initial part of the boot, when I'm prompted for "Hit Enter to boot
immediately, any other key for command prompt" the system is
unresponsive to any key pressed. It just counts down to 0 and boots.