Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 01:24:38 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        llay@sdcc10.ucsd.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Specific Driver support question

> I didn't see the Smartcache III from DPT on the list of supported SCSI
> adaptors. Curious, is it NOT supported--or is there any way to get around
> that? Strange though, FreeBSD is popular among servers--and DPT's SCSI
> adaptors are also more popular among servers for their expandability and
> extensive RAID support.

See the recent discussion (on -hackers, I think) about this. The
position seems to be that it's not currently supported, but one may
well be forthcoming, if agreement can be reached on suitable licensing
conditions.

> Second question, is it possible to use BSD 4.3 filesystem on FreeBSD? I
> was thinking... FreeBSD is based on BSD 4.4 lite--which decended from BSD
> 4.3--so it should be able to, right?

I'm not sure what you have in mind exactly. If you mean something like
"can FreeBSD read my old Sun disc", the answer's almost certainly no,
as there are all sorts of complications like little/big-endian which
come into play.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
jraynard@dial.pipex.com