Date:      Thu, 4 May 2006 15:07:08 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X.Org 7.0 port?

> Mark Linimon wrote on May 3rd:
> > On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 10:47:43AM -0600, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> > X.Org 7 adds no new functionality (it's identical to 6.9, other than the
> > source layout and config/build system).  Nobody in their right mind is
> > going to expend the hours required to port this for no net gain.

> Fortunately, the FreeBSD committers that work on our X servers are not
> in their right minds :-) Work on on creating individual ports and testing
> the results has been going on in the background.

This is a volunteer project, of course, and everyone works on what she
pleases, but could not a share of those minds be directed to *support* of the
existing ports?

The ratio of questions to responses on the freebsd-x11 mailing list is quite
low -- most of the threads consist of either just the questions (without
follow-ups) or with multiple posts lamenting lack of support.

Issues with radeon cards appear to be the most pressing, but other problems
exist too. I'm not sure, if anything *can* be done about it, but it certainly
*should* be :-)

	-mi