Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 15:27:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        rdabney@lasg.com, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AXP pci/33 & memory question

> If you think a 233 is slow, you should try to the 100 Mhz 21064 :-)
> (I have it running here with -CURRENT, but it's impressively slow.)
233 slow? I have to wonder exactly what everyone here is trying to do with
their alphas? I use my 3 alphas as primary nameserver, secondary name
server and firewall. They are 21064 233's and they are extremely useable,
quite fast and in general a nice machine to work with. If you want to
greatly improve the speed of your alpha you really need to make sure it
has enough memory. 96 megs is the minimum I would put (and is what I do
have in mine) in for a useable system. Obviously more is always fun. These
are not the latest and greatest machine that Compaq makes and for how old
they are and how cheap mine were I think they are excellent machines.

-Don