Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 13:55:23 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        KT Sin <ktsin@acm.org>, Gabriel Rocha <grocha@geeksimplex.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Watching DVD's in -stable

Kevin Oberman wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:48:14 +0800
> > From: KT Sin <ktsin@acm.org>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
> >
> > See http://www.videolan.org/. I think it's not in the ports
> > collection yet and you have to build it yourself.
>
> This looks great! Of course, importing it into the US probably is a
> violation of the DMCA.
>
> It will take some work to port it to FreeBSD as it has significant
> Linuxisms. It requires GNUmake (minor issue) but then tries to include
> many header files from /linux. Someone (maybe me) will have to figure
> out where to get these files or what the FreeBSD replacements and
> attendant massaging of the source might be.
>
> For anyone who is familiar with the issues:
> regenerating dependencies for vout_fb.c
> gcc -I../../include -I../../extras  -DSYS_FREEBSD4_3   -Iinclude -Iextras -I/usr/local/include -Wall -Winline -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -O3 -ffast-math -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer -march=pentium -mcpu=pentium -DPLUGIN -fPIC -c -o vout_fb.o vout_fb.c
> vout_fb.c:43: linux/fb.h: No such file or directory
> vout_fb.c:44: linux/vt.h: No such file or directory
> vout_fb.c:45: linux/kd.h: No such file or directory
> gmake[1]: *** [vout_fb.o] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/oberman/utils/vlc-0.2.80/plugins/fb'
> gmake: *** [lib/fb.so] Error 2
>
> It's quite possible that the fb module is not even relevant to
> FreeBSD. Clues to what fb is in Linux appreciated.

All I had to do was run:

./configure
add -lpthread in place of -lc_r in the Makefile.opts and change a
-L path from X11R6 to local (iirc) it compiled just fine.
and run "gmake"

Of course it doesn't work at all (it immediatly freezes whenever you try
to play _anything_) but it does compile.  I think my version compiled
the gtk, SDL, x11, and curses(!) front ends.  Unfortunatly the debug
output doesn't really tell me anything useful in trying to track down
the problem.

I was really interested in getting the DVD playback working, but it
doesn't
seem to work at all (and I even installed that 0.0.1 version DVD library
that this program uses)

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer