Date:      Sun, 18 Sep 2011 05:38:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6727@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Substitute dependencies?

Is there any way to substitute dependencies, in cases where the substitute would work as well or better?

First case I think of is the misc/freebsd-doc-* ports which want links1, which would be redundant if I already have lynx installed, or lynx and seamonkey too.

I don't really like links1, prefer links with graphic capability though links with graphics is still a lame horse compared to Firefox or Seamonkey.

I have viewed the FreeBSD Handbook quite successfully with Seamonkey, even Lynx.

Another case I think of is mysql as a dependency when the user might prefer MariaDB or PostgreSQL.

I think I saw something but can't find it any more.

Tom