Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 1999 14:29:42 -0400
From:      "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw vs. MS Proxy

At 02:07 PM 6/1/1999 , you wrote:
>ipfw is packet filtering, not proxying.  For that you probably want
>squid and/or natd.

This was my understanding as well.  I've actually looked at squid.

>Exactly what are the advertised features of MS Proxy, and what are the
>features you are looking for?

They're looking at it from a security standpoint.  Which I agree with
totally... I've always wanted a firewall.  There never seems to be money
available for my FreeBSD projects, but if someone describes the same need
using MS "solutions", then everyone gets excited :(

The idea is to do just what a firewall does: filter traffic between our
private network and the outside world.  I'd like to see a FreeBSD box with
2 NICs dropped into place, running ipfw, to perform this task fairly
invisibly.  They'd like to use MS solutions because "that's what we sell"
and they don't like FreeBSD solutions because NOEKI (No One Else Knows It)
except for me.  Grrr.

I'm not totally up on either, but I've got some concerns that MS Proxy is
even up for the task that they want to give it.  Sure, it can proxy and
cache HTTP info and the like, but I don't think it's much of a firewall...
am I correct?  Hopefully someone can help me out here.