Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:40:27 +1100
From:      Andrew Johns <A_Johns@TurnAround.com.au>
To:        Ted Knight <efknight@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: splay  and OSS

Try it to /dev/dsp1 - the pcm (OSS) driver creates _all_ drivers as 1, _not_
0.  Your dmesg would prob have given you a clue...pcm1.

If these devices don't exist (/dev/(mixer1|dsp1|etc)) then you'll need to cd
to /dev and sh MAKEDEV snd1.

There was something along these lines in the last few weeks - try a search
on pcm0 in the archives.

HTH

Ted Knight wrote:

> OSS is installed on FBSD 2.2.8 and working fine with xmcd. I can cat a
> wav file to /dev/dsp hand hear sound at improper sample rate.
>
> When I try to run splay which uses /dev/dsp as the default device I get
> the following error msg:
>
> splay: Failed to open sound device.
>
> even when I use the -d /dev/dsp  or -d /dev/dsp0 option,  I get the same
> error.
>
> Anyone got any idea on what is going on?
>
> Ted Knight

Regards                        |    _/\_/\
Andrew Johns BSc (Comp Sci)    |   /      \
TurnAround Solutions Pty Ltd   |   \_...__/
http://www.turnaround.com.au/  |        \/

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I installed FreeBSD."