Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 18:44:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
To:        "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NTPD in upcoming release?

Is 5.0 going to let ntpd run without root permissions?

Having ntpd running as root scares the living fuck out of me since it
lends itself to attacks involving single packets and spoofed source
addresses (and in particular spoofing the tier 1 and 2 time daemon source
addresses to bypass firewall rules).