Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 1996 23:02:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adrian T. Filipi-Martin" <atf3r@stretch.cs.virginia.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone got GNU `dld' ported to FreeBSD?

On Wed, 3 Jan 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Anyone have any other dynamic symbol resolution code I could look at?
> The dld and GCL (GNU Common Lisp, nee' KCL) code I have for doing this
> kind of stuff now is highly GPL'd, and it'd be nice to not have to
> bring more GPL stuff into the tree if we can help it.

	I am not sure why we need dld, unless there are applications
which are relying on some specific dld features.  Unless I am mistaken,
the stock ld should be capable of run-time linking.  This feature was
added to support the Franz Lisp implmentation.

	I tried this out back in the 1.x days.  There was an article in
Dr. Dobb's on dynamic linking under unix which had sample code which
worked under FreeBSD.  It was the May 1993 issue.

	Just for kicks, I got it from ftp.mv.com:/pub/ddj and tried it
again.  It still works just fine.  So why do we need dld?  dld was only
mentioned in the article as an alternative for those poor souls which
wander the deserts of System V.

	Adrian

adrian@virginia.edu                ---->>>>| Support your local programmer,
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~atf3r/   --->>>| STOP Software Patent Abuses NOW!
Member: The League for                 -->>| For an application and information
       Programming Freedom               ->| see: http://www.lpf.org/