Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 00:34:32 -0800
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: [FYI] Oracle on FreeBSD: official response

On Tue, Jan 26, 1999 at 10:09:30AM +0200, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 1999 at 04:46:58PM -0800, Josef Grosch wrote:

> > > Wouldn't it have been easier on people who use mailers for reading
> > > mail if you had just relayed the answer?
>
> Because it was ``official'', I don't wanted to change anything.
> I just removed HREFs and IMGs.
>

> > Agree! The whole world does not use netscape as a mail reader. Please stop
> > sending HTML wrapped mail.
> >

> > Josef
> >

> I can't undestand why I should stop to do this?
> It seems you're lazy to make your mailer display HTML for you ;-)
>
> I don't use Netscape.  Like you both, I use `mutt' (in the ports).
> Its autoview feature and `lynx' (also in the ports) allow me to
> view HTML.
>
> To view HTMLs in the `mutt' you should:
>
> 1. install `lynx'
> 2. add the following line to ~/.muttrc:
>    auto_view text/html
> 3. create ~/.mailcap with the following line:
>    text/html; lynx -dump -force_html %s; copiousoutput
>
> Is it too much? ;-)

Yes, this is very clever. Thank you for sending this us. Can you help me
with a problem ? I also use mutt and I have friends who send me email in
Postscript, LaTex, PCL, and PDF. Not to mention microsoft word format
documents with embedded excel documents. Could you figure out how to get
mutt to display these formats. And while you are at it can you see what you
can do about Pine, Elm, Mail, exmh, and tkrat. ;-)

The above is sarcasm. What I am try to point out it that not everybody uses
mutt and not everybody is interested in spending their time figuring out
how to get their favorite mail reader to understand every document
format. The reason we use ASCII text is because it is a common format. If
we don't use common standards we will end up spending more and more time
inventing clever little hacks to translate back and forth between our
favorite document format. This is the lesson of the Tower of Babble.

HTML is to web browser as Postscript is to printers as ASCII is to mail
readers.

Josef "no more coffee for me" Grosch

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 3.0
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses