Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:17:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Russell Francis <frussell@p1.cs.ohiou.edu>
To:        sharon middleton <pychicfakes@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, sharon middleton wrote:

> I am really impressed with what I am hearting about the capabilities of
 FreeBSD Operating System.  However when I trying to install the system in
 my computer I am having problems. For one thing once get the first disk
 finished; it seems that is the only disk the computer needs. In short when
 do you use the next disks and is it necessary to use them. Secondly, once I
 get to the root password and logged in how do I start my GUI .  Bare with me,
  I am just a novice in Unix software, if you could give me an answer on
 that I think that I could take it from there.

Well, I am assuming you have a running system but not quite sure.  If that
is the case, login as root and the first thing you should do is

#man adduser
#adduser [some options]

then log out!  Then log in as your new user and

#xinit

This should bring up X11 and a window manager choosen during the install
if you wish to change it.  look at ~/.xinitrc