Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 2001 10:58:02 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
Cc:        dxoch <dxoch@escape.gr>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Loading Vinum at boot time (was: Vinum Question)

On Friday,  5 January 2001 at 15:45:09 +0000, Daniel Lang wrote:
> dxoch wrote on Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 03:21:55PM +0000:
>>> Although loader is more sophisticated, it does not know about vinum,
>>
>> I thought the same myself byt, in that case,
>> what is the purpose of the vinum_load option ?
>
> As I said, to load the module before booting the kernel.
> Just as the other modules. As the module is loaded into
> the _kernel_ not into 'loader' or anything you cannot use it
> until the kernel booted.
>
> I guess it makes little difference, if you load the klm at
> this stage or later. Nearly all parts of the system, that
> need a specific module, load it on demand, if its not present
> at startup (ipf doesn't unfortunately ;)). And you can load
> many via /etc/rc*
>
> There may be situations in which it is required or at least
> of advantage if the module is loaded before booting.
>
> Although you can set the root-device in loader.conf, it
> probably won't work to set it to a vinum device.

Well, the obvious way to find out whether Vinum supports a root volume
is to read the documentation.  The answer is "not yet".  When it's
ready (maybe soon), we'll obviously need to load Vinum along with the
kernel.  Then we'll need the parameter.

So why is it in there now?  Because there's an entry for *every* kld
in loader.conf.

Greg