Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 16:17:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        alexlh@funk.org (Alex Le Heux)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fsck and large file system

Alex Le Heux writes:
> Maybe I'm completely wrong here, but didn't I read somewhere that with
> softupdates it would theoretically be possible to boot the system before
> the fsck and fsck while it's running?

Yes.. if you make the assumptions that:

 1.  There are no bugs in the soft updates code
 2.  Your disk always writes its blocks atomically

Then it follows that the only disk inconsistencies that are possible
during any boot-up are minor ones (eg, bitmap entry showing an allocated
block that's not pointed to by anything) that can be fixed by a background
daemon running at its leisure. As a consequence of doing this, your may
have free, but temporarily unavailable, disk blocks for a while until
the daemon finishes.

Julian et.al. can correct me if I've left something out..

-Archie