Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:41:43 +0100 (MET)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Atsushi Furuta <furuta@sra.co.jp>, mike@smith.net.au, y-nakaga@nwsl.mesh.ad.jp, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAO Integration?

 > I don't want to spend any time matching features of the two different
 > systems (which is why I have stayed away from this thread mostly).  I do
 > think that sharing drivers between the two implementations is possible.
 > Its certainly easy to port from newconfig to new-bus and the usb folks are
 > maintaining a common source tree between NetBSD and FreeBSD.

I suggest we have a brainstorm on what would be needed to get people
working together quickly to make sure we end up somewhere in january.

Could someone from the PAO group come up with a list of features that is
'not available' in the new-bus architecture, that they would like to
see? It seems to me that a number of people are very sure about the fact
that new-bus is the way to go, so we should start integrating those
features if necessary.

Personally, I am very much interested in getting the PCMCIA sorted on my
laptop. 3.0-CURRENT seem to make ep0 go haywire once in a while.

 > A far more important feature for sharing driver source code between the
 > systems is the use of bus_space and bus_dma for accessing device hardware
 > and this is fully supported in FreeBSD since the CAM integration effort.

This indeed is a more important problem. UHCI and OHCI USB
host controllers both have the register access specified in the specs,
so it is not a problem for the USB device drivers in particular.

As for the driver porting: Please have a look at dev/usb/ugen.c file to
see the differences between NetBSD and FreeBSD. They are trivial (when
porting from NetBSD to FreeBSD, the other way around requires some more
work as you will have to create a number of files to bind the driver
into the tree of devices).

Nick

--
ISIS/STA, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy