Date:      Fri, 08 Dec 1995 12:00:18 -0800
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        tb@MO.NET, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystems corrupted - what's up with this?

Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org> wrote:

> It really does look to be FIPS related, which is an important clue,
> since the FAT size dictates the writable disk area.

I don't know the specifics, but the mtools-2.0.7 distribution has this
check in one of its functions:

    #ifdef CHK_FAT
	fat_size = (fat_bits == 12) ? (num_clus +2) * 3 / 2 : (num_clus +2) * 2;
	fat_size = (fat_size / 512) + ((fat_size % 512) ? 1 : 0);
	if (fat_size != fat_len) {
		fprintf(stderr, "fat_read: Wrong FAT encoding?\n");
		exit(1);
	}
    #endif /* CHK_FAT */

which my C: drive hits.  The FIPS author (I think) was saying that the
condition causing the error in this case is a legal state for the FAT to
be in.  I was hypothesizing (intuiting? SWAGing?) that this condition is
probably related to why the BSD msdosfs has problems with my DOS slices.

> I'm betting that your FAT FS is before your BSD FS on the same disk?

Yes, it is.  I got the PC with DOS/Windows preinstalled onto a single
partition on a 1Gb disk.  I shrank it back with FIPS to install Linux and
I've since also installed FreeBSD.

> Like I said in another message, I will rewrite this at some time in
> the future if someone else doesn't get to it first.

Great!  Well, maybe one of these years I'll completely repartition and
reinstall things on my disks, but that's not likely to happen anytime
soon.  Maybe not til after the FreeBSD msdosfs gets fixed so I could use
my current setup as a test system (after making sure everything is
reliably backed up, of course :-)).

Scott Blachowicz    Ph: 206/283-8802x240    StatSci, a div of MathSoft, Inc.
                                            1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                           Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org