Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 2003 00:13:44 +1030
From:      Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
To:        Cristian Salan <csalan@xnet.ro>, "Feroz F. Basir" <dbase77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd mount nwfs

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 17:03, Cristian Salan wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 11:51:55AM +0000, Feroz F. Basir wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I read your email to freebsd mailing list. You be able
> > to mount nwfs under freebsd. I'm trying to mount nwfs
> > as well but failed for some reason. I compiled in IPX,
> > NCP and NWFS in kernel. I put these two line below in
> > rc.conf file:
> >
> > ipxrouted_enable=3D"YES"
> > ifconfig_fxp0_ipx=3D"ipx 0x00010010"
> >
> > This is base on freebsd example. When I ran "ncplist
> > s" I got nothing at all. What am I missing here? Can
> > you ched some light, please? How do I go about setting
> > this ipx thingy under fxp0 interface?

I have not been able to find the original posting; perhaps to
a different mail list.

I am mounting nwfs on freebsd versions 4.5 to 4.8. The details
of how to do this a not easy to find -- even when I've done it before.

I think I originally only found the way through a query to this mailing l=
ist.

At least for FBSD 4.x it is necessary to generate additional pseudo
interfaces derived from the fxp0 (or whatever your base interface is)
interface each dedicated to a particular IPX variant.

This is done with the pseudo-device ef in the kernel configuration
or you should be able to use the loadable module if_ef.ko.

Take a look at the man page ef(4).

Now configure with
# ifconfig fxp0f2 ipx 0x00010010
or whatever the appropriate variant is in your case or
if you are not sure you should be able to fire up all 4 variants

I have actually included this in the kernel configuration with:

options         IPX                     #IPX/SPX communications protocols
options         NCP                     #NetWare Core protocol
pseudo-device   ef                      # Multiple ethernet frames suppor=
options         ETHER_II                # enable Ethernet_II frame
options         ETHER_8023              # enable Ethernet_802.3 (Novell) =
frame
options         ETHER_8022              # enable Ethernet_802.2 frame
options         ETHER_SNAP

and then in rc.conf you could use :
 ifconfig_fxp0f2_ipx=3D"ipx 0x00010010"

Malcolm Kay