Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2016 13:52:03 -0400
From:      Steve Wills <swills@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Torsten Zuehlsdorff <tz@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "ruby@FreeBSD.org" <ruby@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Obsoleting Rails 3: how to handle different cases

Hi,

On 06/16/16 05:55 AM, Torsten Zuehlsdorff wrote:
> Hello,
>
> while working on obsoleting Rails 3 from the ports, i stumble across
> various unclear cases. For example:
>
> 1) how to handle different copies of an gem with different
> rails-dependencies. For example www/rubygem-haml-rails and
> www/rubygem-haml-rails-rails4. Both have the same function, but the
> first is outdated.

Just remove the rails 3 one. We could rename the -rails4 ones as well,
but then we'll have to change all the things that depend on them and
it's not worth the effort. Besides, we're likely to hit the same issue
with rails5 things so lets just be clear.

> 2) how to handle ports which seems not to be required any more.
> databases/rubygem-dm-* for example seems to be left alone and there is
> no non-rubygem-port requiring this. I would set the complete tree of
> ports to expiration in this case.

Up to you and probably best to handle on a case by case basis. For
rubygem-dm-* specifically I'd mark it deprecated and if someone speaks
up and wants to maintain it, fine.

> 3) how to handle slaves? there were -rails4 ports which are purely
> slaves to set the dependency to rails 4 instead of 3. Updating the
> master to rails 4 dependency obsoletes the slave. I would prefer to:
> update the master, obsolete the slave and switch dependencies of ports
> from the slaves to the master.

He who does the work makes the rules. :) I'm OK with this too if you're
willing to do the work of switching the dependencies.

Question: Isn't Rails 3.x still at least updated for security issues (if
any are found) until Rails 5 comes out?

We'll probably want to add Rails 5 at some point.

Steve